Getting your clothes and favorite shoes into your new home may be easy enough, but getting Granny’s hutch or the entertainment center out of your old home and into your new one may be more challenging.
The Easiest Way to Move
The easiest way to move, especially when moving heavy furniture, is to hire top-notch professional movers to do the job for you. This gets your belongings moved, safe and secure, without you risking injury to your body or Granny’s hutch. If, however, this isn’t a feasible solution for you, then take a bit of time to find out the right way to do the job yourself.
Safely Moving Furniture
The first step to moving furniture: realize that this is a big job and you’re going to need help. To make moving heavy, awkward items as easy as possible, follow some simple but effective “how to” tips.
- Think high and low. For tall filing cabinets, shelving units or a tall dresser, plan a two-person team. Tip the item backward at an angle to center the weight. One person walks backward while holding the item underneath and the other walks forward while holding the item near the top.
- Lifting straps. Most lifting straps or shoulder dollies are adjustable and can fit different sized furniture. You can get these at most home and building centers or find them online.
- Wrap it up. Protect fragile edges, corners, and pristine finishes by wrapping your furniture in moving blankets. Then secure the blankets firmly in place with a wrap of stretch plastic film or Bubble Wrap.
- Take it apart. Disassemble any furniture pieces that you can before removing them from your old home. Make certain if you take it apart that you have the capability to put it back together again.
- Walk the path. Before you start moving anything, walk the path you intend to take from each room to the truck or trailer you’re using. Remove any obstacles such as packed boxes, miscellaneous clutter, children’s toys, etc. Make certain your pathways are clear.
- The right equipment for the job. You can rent or purchase the equipment you’ll need to get the job done. Suggested moving equipment: furniture dolly, furniture slides, moving straps. Also, consider steel-toed shoes.
Moving day doesn’t have to be such a hassle. There are plenty of tricks and tips to make the job easier. Just make certain you aren’t compromising safety for simplicity.